Joel Allen Kurtzman (1947 - 2016) was an American economist.
Kurtzman was a Senior Fellow at the Milken Institute, a non-profit, non-partisan think tank. His research focused on globalization and its risks and has been published widely. He was also Executive Director of the Milken Institute's SAVE Project which focuses on energy security, climate change, and alternative energy.
Kurtzman was a member of the Board of Directors of Revolution Prep, and a member of the Editorial Board of MIT Sloan Management Review. He was a member of the Board of Directors of the Wharton School's SEI Center for Advanced Studies in Management and to the Vice Chancellor for Research at the University of California, Davis.
Kurtzman was the Editor-in-Chief of the Harvard Business Review and a member of the editorial board of Harvard Business School Publishing. He was founding Editor-in-Chief of Strategy + Business magazine, where he first coined the term "Thought Leader". Kurtzman was Editor-in-Chief of Korn Ferry's Briefings on Talent & Leadership magazine.
Kurtzman was also a business editor and columnist at The New York Times.
Best known for his work on the intersection between economics and business, Kurtzman authored, co-authored or edited 20 books and hundreds of general and scholarly articles. His widely cited book, The Death Of Money, was made into television documentaries in the U.S., (PBS) and in Japan (NHK).
- Unleashing the Second American Century: Four Forces for Economic Dominance,
- How the Market Can Curb Climate Change September/October 2009 Foreign Affairs
- Global Edge: Using the Opacity Index to Manage the Risks of Cross-border Business, Harvard Business School Press, 2007
- Startups That Work: Surprising Research on What Makes or Breaks a New Company,
- MBA in a Box: Practical Ideas from the Best Brains in Business,
- How the Markets Really Work
- Thought Leaders: Insights on the Future of Business
- The Death of Money: How the Electronic Economy Has Destabilized the World's Markets and Created Financial Chaos
- The Decline and Crash of the American Economy, an analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the U.S. economy,
- Futurcasting, a textbook on forecasting,
- Rcdc (Regional Cooperation Among Developing Countries): The New Imperative of Development in the 1980s
- Eastern Europe and the New International Economic Order: Representative Samples of Socialist Perspectives
- The Structure of the World Economy and Prospects for a New International Economic Order
- Food for the World
- World Leadership And The New International Economic Order
- Europe And The New International Economic Order
- The United States, Canada and the New International Economic Order